Chapter 1.2: Sentence Structure
Have you practiced Quizlet chapters 1/1 and 1/2? If yes, let's continue to a new lesson. In this video lesson, you will learn Thai Grammar about "Sentence Structure" which is a core knowledge to help you construct sentences on your own. It's very important to learn how to construct a sentence properly from the beginning of your Thai learning journey. So. let's get started!
Pizza = /phíd-zâa/ พิซซ่า
To eat = /kin/ กิน
To come = /maa/ มา
Summary on sentence structure
- Statement = Subject + verb
- Negative = Subject + ไม่ (mây) + verb
- Question = Subject + verb + ..... + ไหม (mǎy)
In reality, Thais like to skip the subject when talking casually. However, I would highly recommend you to ALWAYS mention the subject and stick to the sentence structure rules as much as possible to avoid any misunderstanding when starting to learn Thai.
- ไหม (mǎy) has a rising tone and it's a question word while ไม่ (mây) falling tone is a negation, not.
- ไหม (mǎy), a question word, can be replaced by มั้ย (máy) with a high tone in spoken language.